ND Tree Handbook
The ND Tree Handbook is an excellent tool to use when choosing trees. It will show pictures of trees, descriptions, environmental requirements, and other important information. You can also use this handbook to identify tree problems.
NRCS – Programs
Use this to get more information on the programs available through the NRCS. There are specific programs that can possibly help to pay for portions of tree plantings.
This is the Tree nursery we order our trees from. Use this site to find tree pictures and descriptions. It also has tree care information and information about the Lincoln Oakes Nursery.
Use this website to identify unknown trees and shrubs. Trees can be identified by name, fruit, or leaf.
Web Soil Survey
The Web Soil Survey can help you to determine your soil type and what will grow best in a specific area.
- Pick how you would like to search for your specific area. You can use an address, township, GPS coordinates, etc. Enter in the correct information to find your area. Then click view.
- To move around in your desired area click on the white hand. This allows you to move the map.
- Click on AOI. This will allow you to make a box around the area you wish to learn more about. (To do this, click in one corner of area, hold the mouse, and drag to opposite corner). This may take a few minutes.
- Your desired area should be in a square with diagonal lines running across it.
- At the top of the page, click on the soil map tab. This will show you where your soil types are and how much you have of each type.
- Click on the Soil Data Explorer tab at the top of the page. This page gives you several choices of areas to research. Click on Vegetative Productivity. Now click on Crop Productivity Index. The map will be broken into your soil types. Move down on the page and it will give you a description of each soil type and how productive they will be.
- This information will tell you what kind of soil you have. Be sure to match the soil type the tree favors (found in ND Tree Handbook) with the soil type in your area.
- If you have any questions, please contact Heather at 701-662-4088 ext. 1